Welcome to Hart County !
My name is Missy Vaughn, and I am excited to serve students and their families as Hart County School district Social Worker. I am employed by the school system and work with all 5 Hart County Schools. As the School Social Worker, my focus is on helping parents and students find effective ways to resolve problems. These problems may significantly interfere with a student's academic achievement and/or social adjustment. My goal is to develop relationships with students and families to address barriers to academic success so students can FINISH WHAT THEY START!
Office: (706) 856-7231
Ms. Katie Grace Alewine moved a lot as a child in a military family but found her way back to her hometown of Hartwell. She graduated from Athens Technical College in 2011 with an Associates in Assistant Social Work. She then obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Public Safety Leadership from Mercer University in 2015. She went on to receive her Master’s Degree in Social Work from Valdosta State University in 2018. She is currently pursuing her Doctorate in Social Work at Walden University, and holds a clinical license in social work in the state of Georgia. Her passion to further her own education extends to helping children in our community reach their highest academic potential!
Ms. Alewine brings 10 years of experience in the field of social work to include areas of mental health, homelessness, substance abuse, case management, trauma, and clinical interventions with children and families. She is excited to begin her new journey as a Student Success Coordinator in the Hart County School district. In this role, her mission is to ensure equitable education opportunities; ensure that students are mentally, physically, and emotionally present in the classroom; and promote respect and dignity for all students. She is passionate about working with children and families and is proud to be serving her local community!
School Social Work Services
WHY do today's schools need School Social Workers?
Children today are increasinly victims of many social forces that negatively affect their role as students. The family is in a state of change and until it becomes stabilized, in whatever form, chidren's unmet physical and emotional needs will continue to interfere with their ability to learn and adjust in school.
WHO are School Social Workers?
School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals with a degree in social wocial work who provide services related to a person's social, emotinal and life adjustment to school and/or society . School Social Workers are the link between the home, school and communityin providing direct as well as indirect services to students, families and school personnel to promote and support students' academic and social success.
WHAT are some the services that School Social Workers Provide?
Services provided by School Social Worker
- Advocate for students and families to obtain optimal educational opportunities
- Assess the needs of students, families & school staff for appropriate interventions
- Inform parents of attendance lasws, consequences of non-compliance and court involvement
- Aid schools and families with strategies to encourage attendance
- Respond to crises by providing supoort and resources for families and staff
- Collaborate with outside agencies to idenify resources for families
- Interact with school staff to promote social, emotional & academic growth for students.
- Maintain current knowlege of school social work practices
- Actively serve on community based multi-disciplinary teams
- Act as system liaison for child abuse and neglect cases
- Provide guidance and short term counseling to students and families
- McKinney-Vento liasion
- Education of Migratory Children contact
- Foster Care Point of Contact